Wednesday, February 09, 2011

DIY: Light box (like a pro)!

First of all:


What is a light box?


A light box is simply a white box used in product photography to show details of an object clearly. Lighting an object well brings out details and provides pleasing highlights. Light boxes are also particularly indicated for food macros and, in my case, I built one for taking better picture of dish when the natural light isn't available, since the yellowish light of bulbs of my lamps is U.G.L.Y.!

Some time ago, I found a really handy guide explaining how to make your own light box (since the professional ones are really pricey), but I'm so sorry I couldn't find the link again.

Materials:


5 sheets of foam board

white tape

2 (or more, if you like it) lamp

daylight bulbs

razor knife

straight edge



1. Attach the left and right side to the bottom







































2. Attach the top and the background







































It's simply a cube, nothing too difficult! (if I can do it, everyone can!!)

3. I waited this evening to try it. These are the result (I'm not sure I've done everything right, but ate least the yellowish light isn't more a pain in the ass!)


(I actually put that thing in my hair)


Before


After (maybe too much fluorescent)

The whole thing looks like this


I bought to lamps with clips so that I could move them as I like it; while shooting they were hung on the left and right side.

So that's it! I'll probably add a kind of hole on the top to shoot in bird's-eye view. If you have any suggestions on how to do things better please tell me!

For me, it's just a success the fact that I didn't cut my finger off with the razor knife! =)

I think I'll use this on cooked food tomorrow evening, let's see!

2 comments: