Thursday, March 03, 2011

Diary of college life I

This week I started the second semester of my last year of college, after my exchange with Belgium. I didn't expected that it would have been so hard to re-start all the things again (classes, assignments and so on). I literally felt so overwhelmed by the things that needed to be done, studied (already in the first week!), all the documents that I had to fill after the exchange, the hardest classes that I've ever followed, a thesis to write... To not mention the fact that, living alone, I needed to deal with all the housekeeping related things, and I had so little time to do the things that I love (photography, cooking, running, sleeping...).  All this is driving me crazy!!

So I thought it could have been a nice stress-reliever to share my worries and experience (and some tips too!) on the blog. Every week a different problem, in the hope to find a sooo needed balance between all the things going on!

Dilemma #1

I graduated, and now?

Well, I didn't graduated yet, but I couldn't help but wonder what to do after that day. Apply for a Master abroad? Find a job? Take an year off to pursue my newly born passion for photography and cooking? The options are quite (and frightening) unlimited.

After a lot of thinking and talking with anyone able to give me an advice (note to self: too much different advices are definitely not good for clear your thinking!), I came up with this, a mix of personal ideas and tips in the hope to clear my mind and, maybe, to help some of you too!

1. Do what you like. Seriously. 
The problem? 

You don't know how do you like to do (or better you don't think that it could be a job). 

( Solution at the point 2)

2. Do what you liked to do when you was a child. Sure, your abilities and ideas change over time, but why the hell I want to do a Master in Mathematics if I've never been that good with numbers, and I didn't even consider a Master in Organization and Event Management since organizing is the thing that I do better (and enjoy most, even when I was a child!)

3. Break the rules. Since I study Economics, I thought it was natural to pursue a career in this field or in Statistic. I was afraid (and still am) that changing field and therefore completely changing the way I see my future job (and myself too) meant failing. Right now I think I'll be happy even if I won't never have a Phd.

4. Don't limit yourself to do well what you are doing, but ask yourself if this is what you really want to do. I need to remind this every day. I'm really good in what I'm studying now, I got good grades and all those things, but this is not making me happy, so why is so hard to change the plan that I had in my head about my future (Master in Economics and Phd)?

So that's it, pretty messy eh?

I would really appreciate if you could tell me your point of view, experience or whatever! Either if you have the same doubts, either if you have already successfully answer the question and are now happy with your choice!

No comments:

Post a Comment