Saturday, March 19, 2011

Brown Irish Soda Bread


I wanted to do something irish for St. Patrick's day this year (besides drinking waay too much cider, since I can't stomach bier). The recipe is easy, but since I replaced some ingredients (I couldn't find buttermilk anywhere here!), it came out a little too doughy, nothing too bad that a good splash of almond butter can't resolve, though! 

It's also quite fast and I literally made it while getting ready for going to a photography exposition. I photograph it in the morning though, to avoid that horrible yellow light; I know, I could have use my lightbox but I was running late =)

Brown Irish Soda Bread


Ingredients


  • 2 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour 

  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour

  • 1/2  cup  steel-cut oats (I used rolled oats)

  • 2  tablespoons  brown sugar

  • 1  tablespoon  wheat germ

  • 1  teaspoon  baking soda

  • 1  teaspoon  baking powder

  • 1/2  teaspoon  salt

  • 2  cups  low-fat buttermilk (I used soy milk, since I only had that)

  • 1  large egg, lightly beaten

Directions


1. Preheat oven to 325°.
2. Coat a 9 x 5–inch loaf pan with cooking spray. Line the pan with parchment paper, and coat with cooking spray.
3. Lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine flours and next 6 ingredients (through salt). Combine buttermilk and egg; add to flour mixture. Stir just until combined.
4. Spoon the mixture into prepared pan. Bake at 325° for 1 hour and 5 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Invert bread onto a wire rack; cool completely. 
Enjoy!
***

Theoretically in Italy no one celebrate St Patrcik's day, especially this year that coincided with the 150 anniversary of the unification of Italy. But...

  • One of my best friend is half-irish
  • I couldn't care less about the anniversary
(recipe from cooking light)

No comments:

Post a Comment